CRITICAL REFLEX is thrilled to launch Outcast Tales: The First Journey, a free playable prologue to the upcoming roguelike Outcast Tales by developer Hardlane Studio, on PC via Steam today. Lead a party of three mismatched outcasts in the post-apocalypse on the hunt for glory and wealth. Venture into the perilous wastes with the prologue’s launch trailer, featuring the game’s narrator, Samuel Barnett, known for portraying Dirk Gently in the BBC series Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency and Delamain in Cyberpunk 2077!
The wasteland is full of dangers – monstrous beasts, scavengers, hunger, and… stubborn personalities? Choose a unique party of three misfits with various roles, personalities and abilities to guide through the post-apocalyptic desert. Traverse the map building – or destroying – the relationships and morale of your crew, all while devastating your enemies in thrilling and deadly turn-based battles.
- Lead a Band of Misfits: Outcast Tales: The First Journey features four characters and five unique personalities to construct your party. Different crew combinations will affect how your team behaves, so experiment on each run for new narrative events and strategic synergies.
- Try Not to Die: Use turn-based abilities in combat to exploit your foes’ weaknesses, and keep your crew’s morale high out of battle to improve their odds of survival. If tragedy does befall your team, don’t worry: you can always start over with a new one!
- Fight Better Together: Outside of combat, narrative events and dialogue choices can change your party’s morale and feelings toward one another, shaping the story as you go. Build their relationships so they help each other out in battle, free of charge! Or let them go at it and see if your band of bickering bandits makes it out alive – some outcasts are outcasts for a reason!
- Precious Pet Companions: Travel with Chomp, an adorable lizard companion, or Awoo, a rescue dograt – just make sure to keep them alive!
- Twitch Integration: Connect the game with Twitch to auto-generate community polls, allowing viewers to influence event options, travel locations, and level-up rewards.
An expansive journey awaits when the complete version of Outcast Tales officially launches later this year. With eight total characters, seven different personalities, an elaborate quest system, branching storylines, world-altering moments and 10 times the narrative events, Outcast Tales will be the adventure of a lifetime!